Pages


Sunday 13 February 2011

Baking... sand...

No, I haven't gone mad! I ran out of sand for basing my nids and rather than paying GW's prices for sand, I picked up a huge bag of builders sand (most of which has actually now spilt in my car boot) and I spent a lot of saturday baking it to dry it out and make it useable. A big thanks to Mark aka Drax for that little hobby tip!

Photobucket

I've been having a few issues with my airbrushes recently, and I think I've finally sorted out the problem. So heres are a couple of quick WIP pics of my armoured division for Flames of War

Photobucket

Photobucket

And my Panzer division
Photobucket

The above have all been painted using Vallejo colours. For those of you who havent used them, they seem to be thicker but have better pigmentation than GW paints. Especially the middlestone which is the equivalent of Desert Yellow. The downside is they need to be diluted more if you are going to airbrush with them.

Photobucket

And just to give the GW stuff some love, I've been sticking together my new Russ. Trying to work out if I can get the turret to switch the guns easily or not...

Photobucket

Another update soon - pretty busy at present with work, gym/running and wedding plans. Not to mention house hunting!

As always any comments (positive or negative) are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Good to see it was of help.

    regards the turrets, have you considered using rare earth magnets?

    i have some you can use to try it out if you'd like

    ReplyDelete
  2. bung some small stones in it as well to get addational texture, also have you ever tried galefore nine basing stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Drax - yeah I've considered magnets. The problem is it isnt the weapon that needs magnetising, it's the actual turret. I will have to take another look but I cant see where or how I can fit the magnets in.

    @Anton - I dont actually like stones on my smaller bases, as I prefer to add flock/static grass clumps but I am going to get some for larger models. I will take a look at the gale force stuff, cheers!

    ReplyDelete